Farm Out! (was Re: Retribution not enough)

Harmon Seaver hseaver at cybershamanix.com
Tue Oct 23 09:19:59 PDT 2001

David Honig wrote:

> At 10:24 PM 10/22/01 -0500, Neil Johnson wrote:
> >My father in-law makes some extra dough by converting modern  power tools
> >(Delta table saws, belt sanders, and lathes) to run of a  central drive
> >shaft so the Amish in our area can build furniture.  Evidently it's "kosher"
> >to use a centrally located diesel engine (with a battery to start it even!)

      Their point is be disconnected from any central control, for one thing.
It's independance, not a total rejection of modern ways. They'll ride in cars,
for instance, just not, for the most part, own them.
      And my main point was that they do very well financially, where most other
small family farms are going under.

> He can get a side job pressing elevator buttons on Saturday, when
> its not kosher to do so.  In tech kosher places (e.g., Cedar-Sinai MC)
> the elevators stop on every floor on Saturday.  I don't make this stuff up.
>
> >Several Amish farms put telephones in their barns for emergency purposes (or
> >drive to nearby store to use a phone booth to call relatives, etc.).
> >
> >So much for being "independent".

       Well, what's wrong with that? If you have a phone line in your house, it
makes it easy to bug you, doesn't it. I lived without a phone for about 18
years, it's not difficult. At one point, in fact, the phone company, without
asking, ran a buried phone line to the quite rural house we lived in, knocked on
the door and asked if they could install a phone inside. I said no, and, as soon
as they left, dug up the phone line in a dozen places along the route, cutting
chunks out of it.
       No paranoia here.  8-)

> Do they avail themselves of modern medicine when they exceed what they can
> do with 19th century methods?  [serious question]

      Yes, generally, but I'm not sure about vaccinations. Can't remember. At
one point we lived around a lot of Amish, really wanted to join up with them,
but they weren't taking converts.

--
Harmon Seaver, MLIS
CyberShamanix