Farm Out! (was Re: Retribution not enough)

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Mon Oct 22 21:14:08 PDT 2001

At 10:24 PM 10/22/01 -0500, Neil Johnson wrote:
>My father in-law makes some extra dough by converting modern  power tools
>(Delta table saws, belt sanders, and lathes) to run of a  central drive
>shaft so the Amish in our area can build furniture.  Evidently it's "kosher"
>to use a centrally located diesel engine (with a battery to start it even!)

He can get a side job pressing elevator buttons on Saturday, when
its not kosher to do so.  In tech kosher places (e.g., Cedar-Sinai MC)
the elevators stop on every floor on Saturday.  I don't make this stuff up.

>Several Amish farms put telephones in their barns for emergency purposes (or
>drive to nearby store to use a phone booth to call relatives, etc.).
>
>So much for being "independent".

Do they avail themselves of modern medicine when they exceed what they can
do with 19th century methods?  [serious question]