Farm Out! (was Re: Retribution not enough)

Harmon Seaver hseaver at cybershamanix.com
Mon Oct 22 16:07:52 PDT 2001

Steve Furlong wrote:

> Your theory about the ag schools and county agents and such may be
> right; I don't know enough to comment on them.

      The best example I can give is the Amish. They *don't* send their sons to ag
school (don't even educate them past 7th grade actually) and don't listen to the
extension agents, and make money with small, totally old fashioned, organic farms. No
tractors, horses to plow with -- and make enough that when each son gets married, they
buy him a farm with cash.
They don't do the factory farm trip, don't get look for gov't handouts (which is what
*all* the big, agri-biz farms do), and compete very well.

--
Harmon Seaver, MLIS
CyberShamanix
hseaver at cybershamanix.com