fanaticism, left anarchists, and CACLing

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Mon Oct 22 14:49:20 PDT 2001

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 01:03:40AM -0700, Luthor Blisset wrote:
>          But no - for many CACL types, those using black bloc tactics were
> just bored, upper-middle-class, college-age, uninformed dumbshits
> pointlessly throwing rocks through starbucks windows - an image similar in
> accuracy to that of the bored, upper-middle-class, insularly utopian

Alas, it also happens to be accurate. I've covered these protests in
three cities so far, and generally the protesters have done little in
the way of coherent thinking, are more united in their negative
statements about capitalism and free trade and such than in their
positive statements about what they wish to see happen, condemn
capitalism while using the fruits of capitalism like cell phones and
Palm pilots to organize their protests, and so on.

Some photos:
http://www.mccullagh.org/image/10/protesters-pushing-dumpster.html
http://www.mccullagh.org/image/950-12/dem-protests-3.html

Example of one of the well-thought-out messages:
http://www.mccullagh.org/image/10/breastfeeding-is-your-right.html

There are exceptions, of course. But by and large, my summary was accurate.

-Declan