Retribution not enough

Roy M. Silvernail roy at scytale.com
Mon Oct 22 14:27:42 PDT 2001

On 22 Oct 2001, at 13:17, Steve Schear wrote:

> One of the great long term hopes for nanotechnology is the
> "cornucopia" or StarTrek replicator, a device which can "manufacture"
> from raw materials and information a broad variety of consumables and
> hard goods.  If it ever does come about and is not something centrally
> controlled and monitored a 'la Stephenson's Diamond Age, it could
> usher in an age of individual sovereignty the likes of which the world
> as not known since its transition from hunter gatherer to agriculture.
>  It might also spell the end of economy.

I'm reminded of George O. Smith's "Venus Equilateral" stories, in
which invention of the replicator did end the economy, until a
substance was discovered ("Identium") that could not be replicated.
 It seems that markets appear whenever there is something of
perceived value to trade.
--
Roy M. Silvernail
Proprietor, scytale.com