Additional Anthrax Deaths Suspected

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Mon Oct 22 14:36:58 PDT 2001

on Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 12:14:29PM -0700, Eric Cordian
(emc at artifact.psychedelic.net) wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>
> > Looks like the "toast" and "goner" comments are right on...as expected.
>
> > I've been watching a press conference of D.C. politicos, mayor and
> > company, on CNN. Looks like several inhalational anthrax cases
> > confirmed, and *two deaths* of postal workers over the weekend with
> > "suspicious" symptoms and test results.
>
> > (Don't know if one of them is the postal worker already diagnosed with
> > inhalational anthrax since last Friday...it's possible this is one of
> > the people. Sounds like the two deaths were of others, though, with
> > anthrax only being suspected post mortem.)
>
> Yes, this is very worrisome.  I've been waiting for the day when we
> have less anthrax cases than the day before, and apparently we've not
> seen the peak yet.

    antrax: n. AKA mailsorter's disease

    (Future dictionary entry)

There is a vaccine for anthrax.  It's not generally distributed, though
military and vetinary personnel may receive it.  The CDC's fact sheet
states that it requires six doses (three at two week intervals, then six
months), protects against cutaneous and inhalation anthrax, and
requires an annual booster.  There are some risks of the vaccine, though
exposure risks are higher, the worst is a sever allergic reaction,
observed in less than 1 in 100,000 doses.

Might it make sense to vaccinate mailroom personnel?  Like high-end
routers on the 'Net, this is where the current delivery mechanism is
bottlenecked.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>       http://kmself.home.netcom.com/

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature]