Retribution not enough

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Mon Oct 22 14:04:17 PDT 2001

At 01:25 PM 10/22/01 -0500, Harmon Seaver wrote:
>       Of course you're ignoring the fact that sometimes the reason that they
>are "starving on their own retched little plots of land." is because of NAFTA
>and huge multinational corporations importing so much US factory farmed corn
>and other ag products into that country that they can't compete.

Obviously if their corn is too expensive, they need to grow something
else.  Or find some other edge --you know, buy our organic CPUs handcrafted
by vegetarian Santa Clara monks using Daisy CAD.

You have no "right" to make a living growing/making something you can't sell.
Paraphrasing Thoreau: Man said "I exist".  The universe said, "So?"

Of course, if you closed their market to others, you'd just raise the price
for the corn-eaters.

We've been
>thru this discussion before.

Indeed.

>      All else being equal, there is no logical reason in the world why they
>should be "starving on their own retched little plots of land."

Overpopulation.  Malthus.  [Don't even start, Choate]  Starving is the
natural state.

(All this assumes no immoral coercion by native governments or others.)

----
Humans are the only species who don't let their learning interfere with
their behavior --GS

 Actually, to me, anyway, "Capitalism" is a Marxist word meaning
"economics". -RAH