Retribution not enough

Gabriel Rocha grocha at neutraldomain.org
Mon Oct 22 10:09:30 PDT 2001

		On Mon, Oct 22, at 04:58PM, Julian Assange wrote:
| This years Nobel for Economics won by George A. Akerlof, A.  Michael
| Spence and Joseph E. Stiglitz "for their analysis of markets with
| assymetric information" is typical.

The Nobel priye was won by people who published ideas that nobel
laureate FA Hayek published in the 30's.

| To counter this sort of assymetry. Employees naturally start trying
| to collectivise to increase their information processing and
| bargaining power. That's right. UNIONS Declan. Those devious entities
| that first world companies and governments have had a hand in
| suppressing all over the third world by curtailing freedom of
| association, speech and other basic political rights we take for
| granted.

And yet, if in a union, I am posed a similar question as the
sweatshop worker. Do I dare go against the union and risk being a
pariah, or do i simply follow the herd and fuck over the businessman
whose hand feeds me? There is only asymetry if you presume the
employee to be ignorant, or uneducated or plain outright stupid. If
the exchange is totally voluntary, the owner will present a wage
that the employee may or may not accept along with terms and
conditions, which the employee is also free to accept or decline.
Granted, in the world of unskilled labor, this doesnt seem as evident,
but that goes back around the circle on why the work is unskilled and
why the worker is there. Life handed him a shittier set of choices than
the guy whose hobby was network security and has more bargaining
power at the negotiation table with an employer. I firmly disagree
with the suppression of unions, but by that same token I firmly
disagree that an employer should be mandated to keep an employee who
is a part of a union. It is the employees choice to unioniye, it
should sure as hell be the employers choice to say as Tim so
galantly put it "Fuck Off!".

--
Churchill, Winston Leonard Spencer --On the eve of Britain's entry
into World War II: