Retribution not enough

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Mon Oct 22 08:44:09 PDT 2001

On Monday, October 22, 2001, at 06:03 AM, Sampo Syreeni wrote:

> Sure, unions are good and using coercion to stop them from coming into
> being is bad. But that only applies as long as unions are granted no
> legal
> status apart from other voluntary organizations, and participating in a
> strike is taken as what it is, a refusal to work. Likely a breach of an
> enforceable contract, too. Any "workers' rights" beyond that are
> something
> you'll have a *really hard time* justifying. Asymmetry does not help,
> either.

"Sure, unions are good" is not at all obvious to me. Why do you claim
this?

Most labor unions are simply rent-seeking clubs designed to cement the
status quo. Teacher's unions in the U.S. are a prime example: once the
union got powerful enough, it fought for a tenure-type system which made
it nearly impossible to remove those who taught poorly and to reward
those who taught especially well.

I've never belonged to a labor union of any kind, and they are
essentially absent from the chip and computer industries.

 From what I have seen, labor unions are a collectivist evil.

--Tim May
"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any
member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to
others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not a sufficient
warrant." --John Stuart Mill