Retribution not enough

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Mon Oct 22 06:56:05 PDT 2001

Cypherpunks generously accommodates a lot of viewpoints
and is not limited to laissez-faire capitalism, nor, as far as the
archives show, any particular political/social/economic world
view other than a polite, wordy, dissent against authority.

It is a forum where a diverse range of possibilities are expressed,
exhorted, denied, ridiculed, misrepresented, lied about, screamed
murder in favor of, plonked, anonymized, and bone-headededly
edventured. Narcissism happily rules, not laissez-faire, a minor
variation.

Now and then a cpunk ever so slightly hints that a tiny change of
mind, or a thoughtful consideration of another viewpoint, are in
the offing. But that openmindedness is rare, not only on cpunks,
which after all is not terribly different from reality in which
denial of other realities is exactly what pleasures.

With respect for Tim's right to say what he likes, I doubt anybody
here needs killing, except, in the rhetorical reality of this poly-lingual
forum. Shouting about killing, well, my experience is that stone
cold killers never tell you what they are going to do to you. The silent
ones are scary, not the shakespeares who generously entertain,
educate, edventure with imaginary tales of what if.