Retribution not enough

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Sun Oct 21 23:08:53 PDT 2001

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> To argue against people voluntarily entering into market-based transactions
> with each other is so a-economical and contrary to cypherpunk philosophies*
> -- wlel, I just don't think it's worth taking the time to go any further in
> a response.

But they are not fully voluntary. The reality is that people must eat and
provide for themselves or die. That is what those people are doing. If
they had a realistic opportunity to change to a 8-5 job they would take
it. The character of 'persistance' of this problem alone damns the 'it's
their own fault' argument.

These people have jobs that suck. The thesis is that they should take
higher paying jobs. Assuming there are such jobs, why aren't they taking
them? Now, if the jobs aren't there, why not? Either line of reasoning
leads to one inescapable conslusion, there is at least one factor that is
not being accounted for in your model.

     The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.

                                             Edmund Burke (1784)

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com