Retribution not enough

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Sun Oct 21 22:35:21 PDT 2001

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, Tim May wrote:

> We should "close down" the horrible sweatshops in Asia, India, South
> America, and other hellholes. (Africa is not counted because they are
> below sweat shop standards.)

Nonsense. What we should do is bring them under rule of law and ensure
that their efforts are rewarded with an equitable share of the profits
their efforts created. The very basis of free market economies, one is
rewarded FAIRLY for their efforts.

The real question, one that is probably unanswerable, is who gets to
decide what is 'fair'. Not only is there no 'fair' way to decide, but
there's no one universal definition of 'fair'.

So, whatever system we put in place must be based on relative
methodologies and measures. The next question is who gets to decide those,
followed by who gets to exercise them.

So, we need a system that is equitable (with respect to access),
representative (in the sense of everyone has a say in it), and limited (in
that some behaviours are outside the bounds of regulation - speech,
personal possession of a firearm).

C-A-C-L doesn't qualify on several points.

     The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.

                                             Edmund Burke (1784)

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com