Retribution not enough

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Sun Oct 21 22:02:24 PDT 2001

I'm actually surprised to see Steve launch into a critique of laissez-faire
capitalism here on cypherpunks, of all places. One can admit that
globalization has ill effects (mostly, bricks through windows of Starbucks
thrown by bored, upper-middle-class, college-age protesters), certainly.
But when responding to claims that factory workers in poorer countries are
only being paid $2/hour or whatnot, it makes sense to ask: Is this worse
than their other alternatives, like mud huts in villages?

To argue against people voluntarily entering into market-based transactions
with each other is so a-economical and contrary to cypherpunk philosophies*
-- wlel, I just don't think it's worth taking the time to go any further in
a response.

-Declan

* = To the extent that there are any cypherpunk philosophies, of course.