Another precious moment from shrub...

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Sun Oct 21 21:47:22 PDT 2001

    --
 Somoza fell largely because of US pressure, so he was not
"our SOB".  Furthermore however nasty Somoza was, we did not
see tens of thousands of refugees escaping Nicaragua to
neighbouring countries during his rule.

The short story of Nicaragua is that there was a US sponsored
overthrow of an unpleasant dictator, a commie conspiracy
stole the revolution, and the contras took the revolution
back, bleeding the Soviet Union significantly in the process.
The war cost the Soviet Union vastly more than it cost the
US, and the Soviet Union could afford it less

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     O2nE3GR43JxWYey3RR11zt4sdp64nZ2+KYj+8Yv+
     41VIT0zZh9AAT+P/dbQDOVLCXj08qsCRHASyBXNX6