IP: Beyond Carnivore: FBI Eyes Packet Taps (fwd)

Harmon Seaver hseaver at cybershamanix.com
Sun Oct 21 19:44:52 PDT 2001

measl at mfn.org wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, Harmon Seaver wrote:
>
> >        All the more reason to use Linux routers and firewalls.
> > Especially if Cisco pulls a Larry Ellison.
> >
> > --
> > Harmon Seaver, MLIS
>
> That's fine and dandy for ds1's, and maybe even enough for the majority of
> fractional ds3 customers, but how are you going to apply this to people
> with oc12 handoffs?  Even oc3 handoffs are going to be *really* difficult
> boxes to build using COTS/PC technology.

      There's a number of router manufacturers that do a lot more than use PC
hardware. This one beats the Cisco 7500:
http://www.imagestream-is.com/News_1-26-01.html

    I'm sure the hardware to deal with oc12s will be soon forthcoming, if it
isn't already available. Besides which, if you and I run a vpn between our
routers, do we really care if it goes thru a feeb checkpoint? Remailer
software could be modified to tunnel between themselves, not just encrypt,
etc.
    Of couse, the whole concept of what they're talking about is impossible
to implement. Easy to order, but I can't see how it would ever work in
reality, not well enough to keep the net actually functioning.

--
Harmon Seaver, MLIS
CyberShamanix
hseaver at cybershamanix.com