And another one bites the dust, another one down, another one down

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Sun Oct 21 20:30:08 PDT 2001

On Sunday, October 21, 2001, at 06:02 PM, David Honig wrote:

> At 02:56 PM 10/21/01 -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>> The media hype also tends to ignore the fact that anthrax is, in the
>> forms detected to date, largely treatable.  Gross attempts at
>> containment (expensive) are less advisable than identification and
>> treatment of exposed individuals (less expensive).
>
> Once the person has enough symptoms to seek treatment,
> I think they're toast.  We'll see.  Maybe all USPO
> workers will be given 60 days of Cipro.  If they're
> the only ones to survive, the species is fucked.

I saw the Sturgeon General explaining that "we now have better treatment
methods."

I thought he might have been right, inasmuch as we had heard that Victim
#2, in Florida, was mending nicely from inhalation anthrax. Ah, but it
now looks like #2 was not a real case of inhalational anthrax.

(I don't count the half dozen subcutaneous cases, or any of the "one
spore was picked up on a swab" cases.)

It looks like this Maryland case is a real Case #2. If he survives,
it'll mean the Sturgeon General was right to say we now can handle
anthrax. But I expect he's a goner.

--Tim May
into you." -- Nietzsche