Retribution not enough

Steve Schear schear at lvcm.com
Sun Oct 21 20:27:08 PDT 2001

At 10:02 PM 10/21/2001 -0700, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>I'm actually surprised to see Steve launch into a critique of
>laissez-faire capitalism here on cypherpunks, of all places. One can admit
>that globalization has ill effects (mostly, bricks through windows of
>Starbucks thrown by bored, upper-middle-class, college-age protesters),
>certainly. But when responding to claims that factory workers in poorer
>countries are only being paid $2/hour or whatnot, it makes sense to ask:
>Is this worse than their other alternatives, like mud huts in villages?

Actually its not the wages, which may quite attractive for these workers
and their skills, but the intimidation and occasional violence used to
recruit and maintain employees, keep them from organizing and the
government support or blind eyes which take me aback.  It reminded me of
the tyranny of the coal mining companies in West Virginia circa 1880's.

>To argue against people voluntarily entering into market-based
>transactions with each other is so a-economical and contrary to cypherpunk
>philosophies* -- wlel, I just don't think it's worth taking the time to go
>any further in a response.

I've actually spoken to a few Central American women who worked in these
factories and the conversations left an indelible memory.  I'm not ready to
abandon my support of laissez-faire capitalism or globalism.  Perhaps these
painful personal experiences are all for the best in the long term, I
certainly don't have a better solution to improving their lot, but it has
caused me to think about the price some pay.

steve