Why Plan-9?

Morten Liebach morten at hotpost.dk
Sun Oct 21 09:13:53 PDT 2001

On 21, Oct, 2001 at 11:43:12AM -0400, Steve Furlong wrote:
> Sunder wrote:
> >
> > Why Plan-9?  I'd say go with OpenBSD. :)  Built in crypto, built in
> > firewall, secure on installation without you needing to tweak stuff.  Hell
> > you can even tell it to encrypt swap pages.
>
> I'd really like to use OBSD for my always-on server, but there are a few
> shortcomings.
>
> - New Java stuff: I need to have Java servlets, JSP, and all that rot
> available from my web site, and last time I tried, a few months ago, the
> new Java stuff just wasn't there yet. Eighty-five step installation
> procedure which either didn't work quite right or was too much for my
> tiny brain. (The procedure was actually for FBSD, but it didn't work
> there, either, so the chances of getting it working on OBSD were
> negligible.)

In 3.0 (out around Dec. 1st) you have jakarta-tomcat and jserv ports
that might be what you need. I don't use it myself though, so I don't
know how well it works, or how easy it is to configure.

> - Encrypted file systems: I want my main server to have TCFS or

I think Linux is better at this.

What about www.rubberhose.org? Works best on linux it seems.

I'll play around with it sometime during the next two weeks when I get
the new SuSE Linux.

Plan 9 looks really, really cool too, though. ;-)

Have a nice day
                                 Morten

--
Morten Liebach <morten at hotpost.dk>