Why Plan-9?

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sun Oct 21 16:07:55 PDT 2001

on Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 04:13:26PM -0500, Harmon Seaver (hseaver at cybershamanix.com) wrote:
> Steve Furlong wrote:
>
> > Sunder wrote:
> > >
> > > Why Plan-9?  I'd say go with OpenBSD. :)  Built in crypto, built in
> > > firewall, secure on installation without you needing to tweak stuff.  Hell
> > > you can even tell it to encrypt swap pages.
> >
> > I'd really like to use OBSD for my always-on server, but there are a few
> > shortcomings.
>
>      Does OBSD have a kernel optimized for use as a router like linux does?
> That's really important if you want a full-time router.
> http://master-www.linuxrouter.org:8080/

I suspect the oBSD response would be that you don't have to.  Anecdotal
evidence (and Linus's own comments) are that Linux networking is weaker
than it could be, the BSD stack has traditionally held a security
advantage.

That said, oBSD's overall performance is generally considered to be
lower than that of GNU/Linux.  What with hardware prices, adding
redundant hardware might be considered preferable to trying to handle
the load on one high-performance box.  But that's also not my area of
expertise.

Back to the cornfield....

Peace.

--