Clubbing in Fortress Amerika (fwd)

Steve Furlong sfurlong at acmenet.net
Sat Oct 20 19:53:09 PDT 2001

Jim Choate wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Oct 2001, Harmon Seaver wrote:
>
> >      Looks like other states are doing the same thing. So much for
> > erasing the mag strip. But I suppose it would be fairly easy to paint
> > something over the
> > barcode like some plastic disolving solvent, making it unreadable.
>
> Defacing a state DL is a felony in most places. You could get away with a
> shrug of the shoulders if the mag stripe was bad. The same can't be said
> of a barcode buried behind platic.

Jim, I'm going to have to call bullshit on that. A few minutes' checking
(google and the revised code pages of a handful of states) shows that
defacing a DL generally seems to be a violation, not even a misdemeanor.

--
Steve Furlong    Computer Condottiere   Have GNU, Will Travel
  617-670-3793

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly
while bad people will find a way around the laws." -- Plato