Clubbing in Fortress Amerika (fwd)

Steve Furlong sfurlong at acmenet.net
Sat Oct 20 18:09:58 PDT 2001

Harmon Seaver wrote:

>      Hmm, seems my DL is already out of date. WI is switching to a new
> form of barcode:
<<< 2-D barcode >>>
>      Looks like other states are doing the same thing. So much for
> erasing the mag strip. But I suppose it would be fairly easy to paint
> something over the
> barcode like some plastic disolving solvent, making it unreadable.

NYS has had these for years. (State motto: always leading in police
technology.)

My DL's barcode suffered just the sort of mishap you describe---solvent
over the plastic, discoloring it and making it unscannable. I've caught
a lot of crap from pigs who try to scan it into the little boxes in
their oinkmobiles, but no official censure or fine has come down. YMMV.

SRF

--
Steve Furlong    Computer Condottiere   Have GNU, Will Travel
  617-670-3793

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly
while bad people will find a way around the laws." -- Plato