Clubbing in Fortress Amerika (fwd)

Harmon Seaver hseaver at cybershamanix.com
Sat Oct 20 17:54:41 PDT 2001

     Hmm, seems my DL is already out of date. WI is switching to a new
form of barcode:

http://www.dot.state.wi.us/dmv/digital.html

> License back contains information and new 2-D bar code
>
>                     The fee paid for the product is indicated
>                     on the top of the card. The
>                     two-dimensional bar code on the back of
>                     the document is coded with information
>                     from the front side of the card. The 2-D
>                     Bar Code is more durable and secure than
>                     the previously used magnetic stripe. The
>                     anatomical Gift Statement is covered with
>                     a special ink-permeable plastic which
>                     allows customers to write on this portion
>                     of the card.

     Looks like other states are doing the same thing. So much for
erasing the mag strip. But I suppose it would be fairly easy to paint
something over the
barcode like some plastic disolving solvent, making it unreadable.

--
Harmon Seaver, MLIS
CyberShamanix
hseaver at cybershamanix.com