Assault Donuts

Xeni Jardin xeni at xeni.net
Sat Oct 20 17:17:27 PDT 2001

Tim May wrote:

> "WASHINGTON (Routers News Service) Because of false alarms involving the
> confectioner's sugar on powdered donuts, sale of so-called "assault
> donuts" will henceforth be restricted to law enforcement officers. "Cops
> have always been the largest consumers of donuts, this just makes them
> the _only_ legal purchaser of this particular kind of donut," said
> Department of Donuts spokesman Ring Annulus."

Don't laugh, there was an actual news item along these lines on Thursday. After
truth, powdered donuts are always the second casualty of war.

Then again, switching to crullers could be giving in to exactly what the
terrorists *want* us to do.
Thursday October 18 11:56 PM EDT

Powdered Doughnuts Make Customers Nervous

The anthrax scares has caused people to call 911 over bird droppings, talcum
powder and laundry detergent; and now even their morning doughnut is making
some people nervous.

Specifically doughnuts with powdered sugar are being affected at a DeBary
doughnut shop.

People can find glazed, chocolate, cinnamon crumb, and jelly-filled doughnuts
but not a single one with powdered sugar.

"Because people are afraid of them. They're afraid of the powder on the
doughnut," employee Marie Cavalho said.

The manager of the Go For Donuts shop banned powdered pastries after a steady
customer picked up five-dozen on Monday, took them to a meeting and then called
to change the order.

"We said why? He said they won't eat them, they're afraid of them," Rosemary
Dorazio said. "They're afraid the powder might contain anthrax."

But the women who work the counter said that powdered sugar is simply powdered
sugar and the baker is the only one who touches the doughnuts before they are
set out for sale.

Still, the manager wanted customers to feel comfortable.

"If it makes them happy and at-ease why not give them what they want?" employee
Marie Carvalho asked.

The manager said that powdered doughnuts will stay off the shelf until
customers ask for them.