What info does Zero Knowledge collect on users of Freedom 3.0?

Meyer Wolfsheim wolf at priori.net
Fri Oct 19 23:59:10 PDT 2001

On 19 Oct 2001, Declan McCullagh quoted a non-so-Anonymous source:

> 	And, of course, there's the fact that Freedom notifies everyone
> between my computer and zeroknowledge.com that I'm using freedom.  Which,
> of course, is covered by the Pen trace and trap warrants, and is collected
> by carnivore.  Now I'm telling my ISP and the world what my IP is, what
> my platform is, and that I use Freedom.
>
> 	How, again, is this not tracking me?

I suppose that my question, (assuming what Anonymous described is the
actual behavior of Freedom 3.0), would now be: "who cares?" What is left
in the Freedom product that this would matter?

Your ISP and the world are not likely to care that you're using an
glorified cookie-manager, and it's my impression that that is what Freedom
has now become.

However, for the sake of clarity, it would indeed be nice to know what
the information those HTTP requests actually means, and for what purpose
it is being generated.

Also, are there any threats created by such information leakage? How could
Freedom 3.0 users be harmed by this?

(If the same behavior was present in Freedom 2.0, I can imagine some more
obvious immediate threats. If what Dov says is true, it's remarkable that
ZKS hadn't been called on this previously. But now that Freedom is no
longer an anonymity service, what are the concerns?)

-MW-