[Artpunks] RE: MWandawi art

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Fri Oct 19 08:08:49 PDT 2001

> mmotyka at lsil.com[SMTP:mmotyka at lsil.com]
>

> BTW - there's lots more art, mostly sinister if you care to see it that
> way. Look at the one in gallery 4 :
>
> WTF is a wooden shoe ( sabot ) doing next to an Indian elephant?
>
> http://people.a2000.nl/mwandawi/

The picture refered to (titled 'Signs') is actually the most information
rich in the entire gallery. It appears to be an assemblage of images
which are emblematic of a large number of world cultures.

As you say, it's a lousy, low res jpg, but without even trying, I
can recognize:

*Blue jeans
*Hamburger
*Olmec head
*Roman Mosaic
*God and Adam's hands from the Sistine chapel
*Ancient Egyptian mural
*Inscribed wall blocks (Tibetian?)
*Arabic wall inscription
*Turkish coffee pot
*Egyptian hieraglyphic(sp) wall inscription
*An image of Ganesh, the Hindu god who is
	'The remover of obstacles' (not an elephant!)
*An African mask
*A Dutch wooden shoe.

...and many others.

If you'd checked the rest of the guy's site you'd know
that he had recently vacationed in Holland.

My take on this is that the site (and the guy) are entirely innocent.
I wouldn't particularly want his stuff hanging on my walls, but it's
similar to 'art' I'd find in a second string SoHo gallery.

I'm mailing him a copy of the letter that started it all. I'm curious
if he'll respond.

Peter Trei