Stu Baker on CALEA and the Net

mikecabot at fastcircle.com mikecabot at fastcircle.com
Thu Oct 18 14:32:37 PDT 2001

I've searched for other references to this and haven't found any... I
work at a very large ISP and because of my job function, I would need
to (a) know about such an order; (b) supervise its implementation;
and (c) actively monitor compliance with it.

And I can tell you that we've received no such order or even had a
sniff that one was coming down (and yes, we do get served by various
LEAs to disclose account details and account contents -- but they
have always been specific court orders in the past; and no, no one
has shown up with a Carnivore box under the arm asking us if they
could plug it into the nearest router port).

In addition to the blanket statement that Baker makes, there's also
the suspicion that he doesn't really understand the subject.... what
does he mean by "CALEA compliance"? Does he mean archiving packet
data (if so, the notion is ludicrous)? Does he mean archiving just
email POP3 contents? Does he mean archiving web/ftp space? What about
colo boxes?

CALEA as it applies to voice networks (packet switched or not -- most
voice networks are packet switched already, just not necessarily IP
packets) is really an expression of two specific things: a)
transaction logging detail (Acme calls Beta on a specific date and
time and for a specific duration) and b) the ability to easily and
quickly get copies of the packet stream (the voice conversations and
any data associated with them or in them) to a centralized
distribution at which such data is made available to the LEAs. But
this is a different thing entirely from data IP packet networks.

So is this guy (Stu Baker) just blowing smoke?

Mike

> Original Message from Thu, 18 Oct 2001 15:48:03 -0700:>
> "FBI requires ISPs to permit easy surveillance; EFF founder agrees"
> http://www.politechbot.com/p-02671.html
>
> "Stu Baker replies to Politech post on ISPs and EFF founder"
> http://www.politechbot.com/p-02672.html

WANT YOUR OWN FREE AND SECURE WEB EMAIL ADDRESS?

Visit http://www.fastcircle.com