govt-licensed broadcaster bans songs

Morlock Elloi morlockelloi at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 18 10:55:36 PDT 2001

> Do a little research, man.  Clear Channel denied this,

No shit ?

PR dept. docs are now the "proof" ?

http://slate.msn.com/code/chatterbox/chatterbox.asp?Show=9/18/2001&idMessage=8318
:

Last night when Chatterbox spoke with Jack Evans, a regional senior vice
president of programming at the radio station chain Clear Channel
Communications, he acknowledged that his company had distributed to its
programmers a list of songs with questionable lyrics that stations
should avoid in the wake of the Sept. 11 attack. (Click here for his
original statements on the list, and scroll down for the content of the
list itself.)

Today, however, Clear Channel issued a press release denying the
existence of the list, and the Web site of Radio Ink, a radio industry
trade publication, reported, "Clear Channel confirmed to Radio Ink this
morning that the banned list was only an Internet rumor."

So what's the truth here? Clear Channel admits it distributed a list of
songs to program directors. It obviously wasn't encouraging stations to
play songs like "Another One Bites the Dust." If you read the press
release carefully, it appears Clear Channel is weaseling out of sticky
situation: "Clear Channel Radio has not banned any songs from any of its
radio stations." Right. They didn't ban any songs, they simply asked
that stations not play them. Chatterbox wonders if there's another song
they might want to add to this supposedly nonexistent list: a little
something by the Sex Pistols.

http://slate.msn.com/code/chatterbox/chatterbox.asp?Show=9/17/2001&idMessage=8314
:

Jack Evans, a regional senior VP of programming at Clear Channel
insisted this list was not an effort initiated by management: "After and
during what was happening in New York and Washington and outside of
Pittsburgh, some of our program directors began e-mailing each other
about songs and questionable song titles," though the finished list was
distributed to the program directors by Clear Channel management.

Evans concedes that some of the songs are off base: "I think there were
certainly songs on the list that people were reading too much into" (the
Beastie Boys' "Sabotage," perchance?) though he supports the list in
general. "There were a substantial amount of songs in question that I'm
glad the [program directors] brought up so we didn't air them at a very,
very sad time." You can judge for yourself. Here's the list, with
original spellings intact.

=====
end
(of original message)

Y-a*h*o-o (yes, they scan for this) spam follows:
http://personals.yahoo.com