Kill Killfile

Ken Brown k.brown at ccs.bbk.ac.uk
Thu Oct 18 01:56:19 PDT 2001

Sandy Sandfort wrote:

> John Young wrote:
>
> > And another excellent quality of cpunks...is
> > the number of its outstanding writers sent
> > to jail...
>
> Offhand, I can't think of one outstanding C'punk writer who has gone to
> jail.  Hell, they haven't even put John in jail.

I think I'm coming to believe the canard about Americans having no sense
of irony.  And even the one about New York and points East still being
more like Europe in some ways than it is like the USA south and west of
the Hudson.

Of course in JY's case it is sometimes irony that reads as if it has
been filtered through the fingers of one who has been to more than one
party since he last slept, and has read way too much art history and
cultural criticism.

A guide to you Pacific People. When us Atlantic People say something
with this little twitch in our voice (just listen - there - did you hear
it?) we mean the *exact* *opposite* of what we seem to be saying. And
when we use this sort of supercilious sneer (pay attention now, it is
very subtle) we mean both what we are apparently saying *and* its
opposite, simultaneously, the two held in tension in an unstable melange
of fractal meaning.

It's a Good Life.

Ken Brown