.mil censor$ commerc. satellite imagery

Ken Brown k.brown at ccs.bbk.ac.uk
Wed Oct 17 06:49:44 PDT 2001

Bill Stewart wrote:

[...]

> One of the Internet map sites, I think Mapquest, also has
> aerial photos for many US areas.  I'm not sure if they're satellite
> or if they're airplane-based.  It's good enough to clearly make out
> my condo complex, including the pool, and the image shows a
> purple blob on the street that may be my car.  Amazing stuff, and free,
> though it doesn't cover the whole US.

Multimap has that for the UK.  From planes I'm pretty sure.

http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?client=europe&scale=1000&X=529700&Y=182000&width=700&height=410&gride=0&gridn=0
has the building I work in.  Windows on upper stories clearly visible.
As are cars and vans in the street  - of course they are where they
where when the picture was taken, which was sometime before summer 2000
going by the building works in the British Museum at the bottom of the
street.

Also proper maps, with contours and buildings and field boundaries and
so on.

It makes you wonder why anyone made a fuss about Arab-looking folk
taking photos of airfields and dams.

Ken Brown