[NEWS] FBI To Require ISPs To Reconfigure E-mail Systems (fwd)

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Wed Oct 17 14:22:39 PDT 2001

I believe this report refers to FBI guidelines being worked out
with telecommunication carriers described in here:

  http://cryptome.org/fbi-flexguide2.htm

Original date of compliance with these guidelines was
September 24, 2001, but the FCC granted an extension
to a time to be set for each service provider in consultation
with the FBI. That FCC order is with the the file above.

This should not diminish the fact that Stewart Baker is
a lying son of a bitch about why his clients came to him,
in accord with best legal ethics, and which has got him
featured on the citizen wahoo watch list. Mitch Kapor,
I dunno, he's not on the citizen list but maybe the TLA's
wahoo list.

Getting wahooed to gain entrance to inner circles is fun
stuff until it dawns there's no exit from being watched
very carefully for betrayal except by extreme wahoo.
Baker is one of the messengers about this intended
consequence.

Oversight committees have learned to live with this
official terrorism as Bruce recommends for all us
based on his experience.

Exception to the rule: Whit Diffie.