Who represents the detained? Nobody...

Anonymous anonymous at anonymizer.com
Wed Oct 17 12:55:00 PDT 2001

>>>They HAVE representation, and I don't THINK the Bill
>>>of Rights says anywhere that you get to see Mommy
>>>if you're arrested, but that you can obtain
>>>representation, you are not required to incriminate
>>>yourself, and so forth.  In theory.
>>
>>Get a clue. The issue is not "get to see Mommy."
>>
>>Rather, the issue is the holding of 600+ various persons, some of whom are
>>very vaguely claimed to be "material witnesses."
>

>Note too that many of the detained
>may not have lawyers.

How about we play "let's hypothesize the conditions that
make our argument true."  That saves having to ground your reasoning in reality.

The Washington Post article says "and limited access to their lawyers"....
and "The Justice Department has also refused to reveal the names of the
lawyers representing them."

At least they have lawyers, don't you get the point?
The dead had no lawyers to argue for thier lives.

"That process is supervised by a court."
The dead had no judge supervising their execution.

>Most of them are
>not being held on criminal charges.  They are held as material witnesses or
>on immigration holds.
>I don't know if a material witness has a right to an

Then you don't know what you're arguing, do you?
Pick your battles.

Wiretapping expansion, big problem,

Lack of luxury accomodations for material witnesses
who are at the least crucial information resources and
may be co-conspirators, little problem.