International Patent Law doesn't apply to USG?

Meyer Wolfsheim wolf at priori.net
Wed Oct 17 12:46:55 PDT 2001

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> To the best of my knowledge, patent law is not uniform internationally,
> certainly not to the extent copyright law is.  In the US, both patent
> and copyright are powers granted to, not obligations required of,
> Congress.  There is prior precedent for lifting patent protections,
> usually as anti-trust settlements.

While I don't agree with most of the "anti-trust law" in general (another
issue entirely), in order to have an anti-trust settlement, there would
have been an anti-trust lawsuit. The company being stripped of its patents
would have had a chance to defend itself.

If the US begins arbitrarily lifting patent restrictions in order to steal
from foreign companies, expect retaliation in kind.

-MW-