More on Autoclaving the Mail

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Oct 17 12:21:32 PDT 2001

On Wednesday, October 17, 2001, at 10:59 AM, Harmon Seaver wrote:

>         I'm not understanding the comments about wetness affecting mail
> in a pressure cooker -- using it as an autoclave, that is. I would
> assume anyone doing this would put the perishable objects in a
> waterproof container, such as a canning jar. You can get them in 1/2
> gallon size. And I'm sure there are any number of steel, aluminum, etc.
> waterproof containers that would work as well.

As I write about in another post, this is generally correct. The main
purpose of an autoclave or pressure canner is to get the internal
temperature to above 240 F, because some organisms can live at boiling
water temperatures.

However, pressure canners allow the air inside Mason jars, or cans, to
escape during the heating process, then during the cooling period the
lid is pressed down on the lip of the jar and a seal is made. This is a
big part of canning, of course.

I doubt an already tightly-sealed Mason jar would implode, but it might.
Some experiments would be easy to do.

(Along with experiments to see what temperatures are reached inside
sealed containers after various amounts of time. I have a "peak
temperature recording" thermometer, but mine is only good for "normal"
weather temps. I'm sure such things exist for higher temperatures. Check
a chemical equipment supply house, like Fisher, or even Edmund
Scientific. Or just type suitable terms into search engines, if actually
interested in doing this experiment. Experimenting with anthrax cultures
is no longer feasible, or politically safe to do.)

--Tim May, Occupied America
deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759.