ChefPunks

mmotyka at lsil.com mmotyka at lsil.com
Wed Oct 17 09:12:25 PDT 2001

Ken Brown <k.brown at ccs.bbk.ac.uk> wrote :

>mmotyka at lsil.com wrote:
>>
>> ichudov at Algebra.Com (Igor Chudov) wrote :
>> >
>> >One thing I would like to buy is a pressure cooker.
>> >
>> I have found them to be of little use. Save some $, try a garage sale.
>
>I used to use them a lot. Great for beans et.c  And not as expensive as
>a goode steamer :-)

Rinse, pre-soak over night, most beans cook in a reasonable time.

>Pressure cooker much faster to heat up. Also for large samples the water
>adds heat to sample faster - food in an oven at 200 degrees is often not
>much more than 100 inside while the outside is already roasting.

Water condensing on a cool surface may add heat quickly but many common
inks are water soluble. It is the heat that does the killing. With mail,
the problem is poorly conducting, but very thin materials. Dry roasting
ought to work. Temperature TBD, 160C+ from other info.

>Personally I would quite like to keep microbiological samples separate
>from my cooking equipment :-)

True, but then life is one great big microbial soup ain't it? What lives
on that leg of lamb when you throw it in the pan?

>> A nitrogen atmosphere might be a good thing to reduce oxidation of inks
>> and paper. I doubt it would help your new Visa card though.
>
>But oxygen is just the thing to be nasty to bacteria.  Hit them with
>activated oxygen. Peroxide works wonders - kills all known bacteria
>(yes, even spores) and doesn't permanently damage the environment :-)

True, but you'd have to experiment with the stability of inks at high
temperatures - I was just musing that the chances of still being able to
see them would be better if oxygen were not available.

H2O2 is also a damn good bleach. Just look at Hollywood.

Mike