Canada slaughters civil rights

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Tue Oct 16 21:49:34 PDT 2001

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 09:05:15PM -0700, Tim May wrote:
> Not just this, but they did it with an unacceptable amount of warning.

Right. Terrible customer focus, to use some buzzword phrase. Even putting
political issues aside, I'd have a very tough time recommending their
products to anyone after this week-or-two discontinuation.

It would be like the Well abruptly deciding to kill my well.com address
with a week's notice, after I've had it since 1995, and rely on it for
professional and personal reasons.

> (Seven days, versus the past couple of years of obvious trends. It
> doesn't take much neural processing to see that their sudden
> re-focussing on some bullshit product like "cookie management" is a
> response to the new climate of fear.)

Maybe, maybe not. I've had numerous reports from reliable sources who
have said that the change was in the works before Sep.11. Maybe the attacks
speeded it up.

> So, NAI is abandoning PGP (no great loss, actually), ZKS is abandoning
> Freedom (ditto), and some crypto luminaries are falling all over
> themselves to support police state measures.

Some possible good news, for a change. Sen. Judd Gregg, who said he
was introducing legislation to restrict crypto, seems to have a change
of heart. My article will be up at wired.com tomorrow.

-Declan