ChefPunks

mmotyka at lsil.com mmotyka at lsil.com
Tue Oct 16 12:04:46 PDT 2001

ichudov at Algebra.Com (Igor Chudov) wrote :

>One thing I would like to buy is a pressure cooker.

I have found them to be of little use. Save some $, try a garage sale.

>Another is a kind of charger that charges water with CO2, to make homemade
>fizzy water insteado f buying it at stores. In Russia these things were called
>syphons. Any ideas?

Apparently they're called siphons here too :

http://www.williams-sonoma.com//srch/name.cfm?ftype=name&imgs=on&name=soda

>igor
>
>> > Try your regular stove. Set it to, say, 400 degrees and pray that the papers
>> > will remain legible. I'd prbobably be more likely to be attacked by meteorites
>> > or abducted by aliens than be anthraxed via mail, but *if* I had to
>> > sterilize mail,
>> > I would use a stove.
>>
>> In labs an autoclave is used to sterilize everything.
>>
>> Autoclaves are basically pressure cookers, high pressure steam at 121
>> deg. Celsius and ~2 Bar kill everything.

If 121C is adequate why not use the same temperature in your oven? I
doubt the absolute pressure matters.

A nitrogen atmosphere might be a good thing to reduce oxidation of inks
and paper. I doubt it would help your new Visa card though.

Mike

I use 107C in a conventional oven for ~8hours to do pork ribs. I'm
considering getting a smoker to do the last hour though.