mirror volunteers needed

Greg Newby gbnewby at ils.unc.edu
Tue Oct 16 06:50:37 PDT 2001

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 07:56:20PM +1000, Julian Assange wrote:

> > Julian Assange wrote:
> >
> > > If you are brave and have a unix account/machine with approximately
> > > 2Gig of disk free, we need you.
> >
> > More details, please. Mainly the kind of material to be hosted. Holding
> > 2GB of kiddie porn (horseman alert!) might be objectionable on moral
> > grounds as well as legal grounds.
>
> Documents and images. No kiddie porn, but there are still three
> other horsemen to choose from. Absolutely legal for now, bar
> retrospective legislation, but that won't stop the horse trainers
> from pretending otherwise. Constitutionally protected in the US,
> but that doesn't mean you won't cop flak from ISP higher-up and
> other organisations regardless of where you live.

Where's the site?  I'm sure some of us might be interested
if we can see whether we care about the content.

> If you'd be happy to mirror cryptome.org, then you'd probably be
> happy to mirror this material.

Thanks for the legal advice.  cryptome still has decss.zip (and I'm
damned happy they do).  Nearly every other site with it caved to MPAA
pressure.  (Publicly) mirroring cryptome isn't for the timid.  Asking
people to mirror content that might be dangerous to their status with
their upstream provider requires some more details.

  -- Greg