5 Reasons the Pro-freedom Movement Is in Trouble

Matthew Gaylor freematt at coil.com
Mon Oct 15 11:17:55 PDT 2001

At 1:09 PM -0400 10/15/01, Gail Lightfoot <GkLtft at aol.com> wrote:
>Dear Matt,
>
>   No matter how reasonable an individuals philosophy of living
>  may be, they will still succumb to emotionalism from time to time.

And succumb they do.

We now have these examples of alleged freedom advocates making the
following non-freedom remarks.

1.) Reason Magazine Contributing Editor Cathy Young advocating
banning encryption stating that: "Do I like the idea of people being
able to encrypt electronic communications so that they are beyond
surveillance? Frankly, I found it scary even before Sept. 11 -
precisely because of the threat of terrorism. It is said that there
are no atheists in foxholes; perhaps there are no true libertarians
in times of terrorist attacks.  Even in the Declaration of
Independence, the right to liberty is preceded by the right to life."
<http://www.reason.com/cy/cy092401.html>

2.) Ivan Eland <ieland at cato.org>, Director of Defense Policy Studies,
Cato Institute writes in favor of victim disarmament "The ban against
sharp metal objects (i.e., knives) aboard aircraft is a good one."
See: <http://www.cato.org/current/terrorism/pubs/eland-010920.html>

3.) The Objectivist Center's James Robbins's support of a national
ID-  Robbins' writes: "...however, the recent assault on America has
had a significant clarifying effect. Since last Tuesday, some of my
"go to the wall" libertarian views, such as opposing a national ID
card, have seemed trivial. The potential for government abuse is
present, but the need for providing security is actual. So long as
there are adequate checks and balances, so long as the enabling
legislation is circumscribed and directed, the measures currently
being touted seem a reasonable cost." See:
<http://www.objectivistcenter.org/pubs/jr_what_will_happen_now.asp>

4.) Various Libertarian Party spokespersons notably in Ohio and
Florida making statements such as:  " "We're normally very wary about
anything that could mean more authority to the federal government and
limited individual liberties," said Ralph Swanson, an administrator
for the Florida Libertarian Party. "But I think you'll find, after
all this, something has to be done to keep people safe."
<http://www.Jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/091201/met_7262452.html
 >.  And Ohio's LP director stating that: "I personally have no
problem with airlines preventing passengers to carry weapons..." And
she went on to say "Airport searches aren't 4th amendment
violations." <see archives at libertarian discussion list
<LDL at LISTSERV.KENT.EDU> >.

5.)  The Libertarian Party of Virginia candidate for Governor William
Redpath is publicly calling for the elimination of private gun sales
as he wants all private gun sales routed via a government licensed
dealer so a FBI background check can be done.  Currently in Virginia
if you wanted to give or sell your neighbor a gun you can do so
without governmental involvement. See
<http://www.redpath2001.com/gun_control.html>.

I'd like to view the liberty goblet as half full rather than half
empty but with freedom advocates like these who needs enemies?

Regards,  Matt-