on the mexican radio.. ciproxolina

Xeni Jardin xeni at xeni.net
Sun Oct 14 15:58:11 PDT 2001

DH wrote:

> Spanish TV station on.  They're still playing the Taliban (tsk tsk) and
> translating into Spanish.  I don't speak spanish so I am not incited
> by the subliminal messages to go jihad a bunch of people.
>
> But then they show what I take to be americans visiting mexico to
> buy "ciproxolina".  Haven't seen that on gringo tube.

Yup. I've been spending considerable time in and around Tijuana
recently--tourism numbers are way down, but the Cipro-inspired border crossing
thing is real. There is also a considerable degree of freaking out at present
among Mexican citizens themselves over the threat of anthrax (newscasts are
talking about "Anthrax Psychosis" spreading throughout Mexico.)

In addition to the contrasting coverage of Al-Qaeda video releases (US is
censoring them, MX isn't...yet), networks like Univision and Telemundo are
covering a number of other angles to the broader story we're not seeing from
US-owned media. For instance, reports (like the url below) on the effect of 9-11
on illegal drug trafficking. Bottom line: heroin & coke prices are spiking due
to heightened security along narcotrafficking corridors into the US. Don't hold
your breath waiting for CNN to cover that news, amigo.

<http://noticias.univision.com/content/es008145E4.html#loc1>

XJ