possession of brown sugar and envelopes illegal ?

James B. DiGriz jbdigriz at dragonsweb.org
Sun Oct 14 10:37:38 PDT 2001

Declan McCullagh wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 13, 2001 at 10:12:38PM -0700, Morlock Elloi wrote:
>
>>Maybe the high density living that we are so used to is incompatible with new
>>weapons. Maybe societal structures based on projectile-throwing weaponry are
>>passe. New weapons always changed rules, and it was called progress.
>>

> I think that's an interesting argument, but you'll note that the Florida
> Anthrax case targeted a firm that was hardly in a "high density living"
> situation. Apparently it was a nondescript suburb.
>
> Throughout history people have congregated together, in family groups
> and small tribes. It strike me as hardly likely that we'll give up
> that pleasure because of some vague fear of anthrax. (Maybe huge
> island cities like NYC, however, will see a sudden erosion of
> residents.) Instead we'll take proper precautions and continue
> meeting.
>
> This is a perfect market opportunity for a "mail opening and detoxification"
> firm that would be employed by media groups and large, hated computer
> companies as a contractor. Think food tasters, but different.
>
> -Declan

Maybe, but what you're talking about is fighting for crumbs falling from
those hoarding ever shrinking pieces of pie.

What there is a real market opportunity and need for are venues for the
younger (and older) progeny of ruling elites from Saudi Arabia to the
U.S., to wherever, to excercise their territoriality and personal
hegemony, instead of fomenting jihads, revolutions, wars, coups, etc.
Space is a logical opportunity.

The war on "terrorism" is doomed. This bunch is fucked, but there will
*alwayy* be more to replace them, and always just cause for their
actions, in their minds if not in reality.

I'm suspending my cynicism for the moment because this has been such a
shock to so many, but it's hard not suspect malice on the part of those
in positions to do something about this for so long, who didn't, with
every opportunity. I'd hate to think they were just stupid instead. It'd
mean they didn't deserve their advantages, maybe.

jbdigriz