possession of brown sugar and envelopes illegal ?

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Sun Oct 14 07:28:12 PDT 2001

On Sat, Oct 13, 2001 at 10:12:38PM -0700, Morlock Elloi wrote:
> Maybe the high density living that we are so used to is incompatible with new
> weapons. Maybe societal structures based on projectile-throwing weaponry are
> passe. New weapons always changed rules, and it was called progress.

I think that's an interesting argument, but you'll note that the Florida
Anthrax case targeted a firm that was hardly in a "high density living"
situation. Apparently it was a nondescript suburb.

Throughout history people have congregated together, in family groups
and small tribes. It strike me as hardly likely that we'll give up
that pleasure because of some vague fear of anthrax. (Maybe huge
island cities like NYC, however, will see a sudden erosion of
residents.) Instead we'll take proper precautions and continue
meeting.

This is a perfect market opportunity for a "mail opening and detoxification"
firm that would be employed by media groups and large, hated computer
companies as a contractor. Think food tasters, but different.

-Declan