Missing details on Afghanistan: Natural Gas (fwd)

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Sun Oct 14 09:11:55 PDT 2001

On Sunday, October 14, 2001, at 04:12 AM, Eugene Leitl wrote:

> -- Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204/">leitl</a>
> ICBMTO: N48 04'14.8'' E11 36'41.2'' http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204
> 57F9CFD3: ED90 0433 EB74 E4A9 537F CFF5 86E7 629B 57F9 CFD3

The writer above may not "seen this appear," but it's a basic tenet of
Afghan history, going back decades, centuries, and millennia. The Silk
Route passed through Afghanistan, the British tried to gain access and
battled the Russians in what is usually dubbed "The Great Game." The
Russians wanted a warm water port.

Daniel Yergin's book on the oil business some years back explained in
great detail how the discovery of huge oil and gas fields in Central
Asia early in the 20th century highlighted the issue of where to put a
pipeline to a seaport. South through Uzbekistan and over the Khyber Pass
into Pakistan and then down through the desert to the Arabian Sea was
one conceived route. Another was west across Turkmenistan to Turkey to
the Med was another.

(For those who get their history from James Bond movies, this was
covered in the last Bond movie, where the French uberbabe Sophie Marceau
played a Central Asian oil magnate. Scenes were shot in Tashkent.)

So, this is well-trod ground.

--Tim May