Is Bush Nuking Afghanistan Now?

Eric Cordian emc at artifact.psychedelic.net
Fri Oct 12 20:53:16 PDT 2001

Reese writes:

>> Conventional bunker busters weight 5,000 lbs, and have to be delivered
>> by structurally modified B-52s.

> The GBU-28 (BLU-113 Penetrator) weighs 4,414 lbs, and can be delivered
> by F-15s and F-111s.

> http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/smart/gbu-28.htm

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/smart/gbu-28.htm says in part:

"The GBU-28 is a 5,000-pound laser-guided conventional munition..."

Later in the spec sheet, it cites the size of the bomb as 4,414 lbs.
Perhaps the 5,000 lbs was a rough estimate.  Perhaps the spec sheet is in
error.

Current news stories are referring to it as the <5,000-pound GBU-28
"bunker buster" bomb>.

http://europe.cnn.com/2001/US/10/10/ret.bunker.buster/
http://www.canoe.ca/CNEWSAttack011010/10_us-ap.html

The B61-11 tactical nuke was a replacement for the B53, an 8,900 lb 9
megaton warhead, which could only be delivered by a B52.  I apparently
confused this with the B61-11 being an alternative to the GBU-28, which
can, as you point out, be delivered by a variety of aircraft.

--
Eric Michael Cordian 0+