House update on anti-terror bills: Look out

Steve Furlong sfurlong at acmenet.net
Fri Oct 12 10:26:08 PDT 2001

mmotyka at lsil.com wrote:

> Perfectly understandable actions on the part of our "representatives"
> considering that they panicked a month ago and haven't been in their
> right minds since - most of them anyway. Feingold and Barr seem to be
> more stable than the average bear.

Throw Ron Paul into that select group, too. He's pretty reliable in
supporting liberties for the common swine. Some of his recently-proposed
legislation seems pervertible by sufficiently motivated agencies, but it
isn't a blatant power grab.

> The totally infuriating part is that it will take decades to undo the
> damage they're doing in a few short weeks.

If you view it as damage. A fair number of our elected and appointed
officials seem to view it as opportunity.

--
Steve Furlong    Computer Condottiere   Have GNU, Will Travel
  617-670-3793

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly
while bad people will find a way around the laws." -- Plato