some good news: fed disarmer shot dead

Dynamite Bob dbob at semtex.com
Fri Oct 12 11:47:46 PDT 2001

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGAT6R3AQSC.html

Federal Prosecutor, a
        Prominent Gun-Control
      Advocate, Shot to Death in
             Seattle Home
      By Peggy AndersenAssociated Press Writer

                Published: Oct 12, 2001
     SEATTLE (AP) - A federal prosecutor who headed a
 prominent gun control group in his spare time was shot in his home
 and died early Friday.

 Thomas C. Wales, 49, died about 1:15 a.m. Friday at Harborview
 Medical Center. He had been shot in the neck and the side late
 Thursday, a hospital spokeswoman said.

 Details about the shooting were sketchy. No arrests had been made,
 police spokesman Mark Jamieson said.

 Wales was a member of the fraud unit in the U.S. attorney's office
 here, specializing in prosecution of banking and business crime,
 spokesman Lawrence Lincoln said.

 He also was board president of Seattle-based Washington
 Ceasefire, a gun-control group.

 "The death of Tom Wales is a terrible loss to our movement," said a
 statement from Michael T. Barnes, president of the Washington,
 D.C.-based Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "Although we
 do not yet know the motives for the shooting, we are angered by the
 murder of this true visionary."

 Federal agencies were assisting Seattle police in the investigation.
 Officials with the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and
 Firearms declined to comment.

 According to The Seattle Times, neighbors in the wealthy Queen
 Anne Hill neighborhood reported hearing shots shortly before 11
 p.m. Thursday.

 Neighbor Tom Olsby said Wales' wife, Elizabeth, a former Seattle
 School Board member, was away visiting family in New England.

 On Sept. 30, Washington Ceasefire planted thousands of daffodils in
 a popular city park in remembrance of people who had died from
 gun violence.