Bunker Buster

Max Inux maxinux at bigfoot.com
Fri Oct 12 01:02:17 PDT 2001

These things are TOUGH MOTHER FUCKER that go big boom.

-Max

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/bomber/n19980326_980417.html

EIELSON AIR FORCE BASE, Alaska (AFNS) -- A B-2 Spirit bomber dropped two
B61-11 bomb shells to test their improved ground penetration capability
March 17 at the Stuart Creek Impact Area, 35 miles southeast of Fairbanks.

The tests here were designed to measure the nuclear bomb casing's
penetration into frozen soil and the survivability of the weapon's
internal components.

These were the final two tests needed to certify the weapon system as
operational.

A team excavated the two unexploded dummy bombs and took careful
measurements of their angles and depth of penetration into the soil, which
were 6 and 10 feet, according to Ellsworth Rolfs, a B61-11 program test
manager. The shells were sent back to Sandia National Laboratories in New
Mexico for full analysis of how the simulated internal components fared in
the impact.

"The test unit casing didn't rupture in any of our tests, including drops
through concrete from 40,000 feet," he said. "We fully recovered all test
units 100 percent intact."