Tracking the RIAA Source

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Thu Oct 11 19:34:33 PDT 2001

John, we all adore you, but you gotta decide whether you're going to
stand behind what you post or not. Either way -- you say it's legit or
you disclaim all knowledge of its validity -- is fine with me, and, I
suspect, the bulk of your readers.

But right now you seem to want to have it both ways. You want to be
able to claim credit for when what you post is legit, and you want to
be able to slink away from what you post that's a fucking lying hoax,
to use your words.

Otherwise you'll just be used by fucking lying hoaxers, and worse.

Let me put this another way. Based on my conversations yesterday, I
have every reason to believe that the hoax was, well, a hoax. If you
have a shred of evidence to the contrary that your hoax-report was in
fact true, please do post it.

No? You don't? I see.

Your fan,
Declan