Documented criminal/terrorist uses of cryptography?

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Wed Oct 10 20:43:43 PDT 2001

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 03:19:17AM -0000, Dr. Evil wrote:
> It seems highly likely that there will be an effort to stop net
> anonymity, which will basicly means KYC for ISPs.

I would have predicted that on the evening of Sep. 11. I've documented
Freeh's calls in the past for just this. I was concerned enough about
this prospect years ago that I convinced some nonprofit groups to
include "protect Net anonymity" in their annual handbooks that go to
congresscritters. But it hasn't happened in Congress yet, and now's a
pretty good time to get this stuff through.

That's the good news. The bad news is that the Senate is preparing to
vote as early as Thurs morning on their USA Act (text at
leahy.senate.gov), and the amendments being proposed by Feingold are
decent but pretty weak. I'll probably put up the text at
wartimeliberty.com soonish.

-Declan