Florida anthtrax was man made.

Buzz LightYear bzzlgtyr at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 10 11:15:48 PDT 2001

CNN is reporting that the Anthrax strain found in Florida was developed in
an Iowa laboratory during the 1950's.

However, they haven't named the lab or confirmed wether it is still in
operation.

http://www.cnn.com/2001/HEALTH/10/10/anthrax/

My guess it is the National Animal Disease Center (NADC) in Ames, Iowa and
it is still in operation.

http://www.nadc.ars.usda.gov/

The NADC is large facility on the east side of Ames (also home to Iowa
State University, which has a well regarded agricultural and veterinary
teaching and research programs).

The facility's security is fairly high (chain link fencing with barbed wire,
security patrols, "US government property, NO Trespassing" signs, etc.).

>From what I recall the NADC is the agricultural animal version of the
Center for Disease Control (CDC).

They do a lot of research on nasty animal diseases (Foot and Mouth disease
for example). It wouldn't surprise me that they have fiddled around with
anthrax.

What always made me nervous while living in Ames were the
several plots of land (5-10 acres in size ) around the facility. There was
nothing (no trees or shrubs, just grass) around them and a small cluster of
buildings in the center. There was always one building in the cluster with
what appeared to be an incinerator stack protruding from it.

-Buzz