FBI utilizing supermarket club cards in profiling

Ken Brown k.brown at ccs.bbk.ac.uk
Wed Oct 10 05:12:19 PDT 2001

What's that officer, you want to look in my kitchen?

I do buy flat Turkish bread. My daughter likes it. And we have some
pickled chillis in a jar. And buckwheat, and olive oil. And dried fruit.
I even have Claudia Roden's Book of Middle Eastern Cookery. Actually I
have  Nosher  [must be a pseudonym?] Djan's book of Afghan cookery in
the other room.  I'll put my hands in the cuffs right now sir.

And, yes, I have to confess, I have some chickpeas. And even a jar of
tahini. I went to this party, back in about 1976, and they had hummus,
and once I'd tried some I was hooked. A couple of years later I found
out how to make it and I remember sitting on the floor in a shared house
somewhere in Durham and eating home-made hummus and I realised that I
understood the ontological proof of the existence of God, and that if
you actually understood it it was obviously  true. Since then I haven't
quite been able to recapture that moment. Hummus on wholemeal bread,
hummus in pitta, hummus with breadsticks, hummus on salad, hummus with
lamb kebabs when walking home from the club at 3 am - no, I haven't told
you about the club yet, it doesn't matter, the Borough council closed us
down after a political argument but  -  yes, I'll come quietly, officer.

Yes, those are my microscopes, and those are petri dishes, and I do have
a shelf-full of books on microbiology, would you like to see my degree
certificate? No, it's unpasteurised sheep's cheese. Anthrax doesn't look
like that. Well, it probably does smell a bit like that, I agree. Would
you like to try some?

It's a fair cop, guv.

Ken Brown